Internet and ICT Acceptable Use Policy
The School will employ a number of strategies in order to maximise learning opportunities and reduce risks associated with the Internet. These strategies are as follows:
Class group Internet sessions will be supervised by a teacher.
- Filtering software will be used in order to minimise the risk of exposure to inappropriate material.
- The school will regularly monitor students Internet use.
- Uploading and Downloading on non-approved software will not be permitted.
Virus protection software will be used and updated on a regular basis.
- The use of personal storage devices in school will not be permitted without express approval of teacher.
- Students will observe good etiquette on the Internet at all times and will not undertake any actions that may bring the school into disrepute.
- Any student wishing to access the Internet can only do so with the permission from a teacher.
World Wide Web and School Website
Students will not visit websites that contain obscene, illegal, hateful or otherwise objectionable materials.
- Students will use the Internet and ICT facilities for educational purposes only.
Students will never disclose or publicise personal information on the Internet.
- Students will be aware that any usage of the Internet may be monitored or unusual activity and security reasons
- In relation to our school website we will publish photographs/video clips of students and staff at various school activities unless a parent / guardian informs the Principal in writing that they would prefer not to have photographs/video clips of a specified student published.
- Specifically, in relation to the School Website safetey guidelines as deemed applicable by the IT Department of St Killian's will be adhered to as outlined in the NCTE publication webwise on Web Safety.
Students will use approved class E-mail accounts and only when supervised by a teacher.
Students will not have access to chat rooms, discussion forums or other electronic communication forums if they have not been school approved and without teacher supervision.
Misuse of the Internet or any ICT facility will result in disciplinary action, including detention, withdrawal of access privileges ( eg to another room ) and in extreme cases suspension or expulsion from the school.
ALL STUDENTS MUST ACCEPT THE ACCEPTABLE USAGE POLICY BEFORE ACCESS TO SCHOOL ICT FACILITIES IS PERMITTED AS USE OF FACILITIES IS DEEMED TO BE ACCEPTANCE OF OUR ICT POLICY.